Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Samples From Jenn's Home Party!

'Thanks' card is case'd from someone's blog - I cannot for the life of me find it now but I will continue looking so that I can give proper credit for her creativity!! The Father's Day card is a Lisa Burns original!

Not too long ago, I promised to share the samples we made at my friend Jenn's Stampin' Up! home party. I thought that while I do this, I would mention a few things about what its like to have a home party and what I do to make the event FUN and LIGHT for all guests!

First - don't be afraid of home parties! Somewhere along the line, they got a bad rap and I still hear ladies saying things like "I feel like I 'have' to buy something" or "what if no one shows up"! While both of these comments are very real concerns for some people, here's how I tend to respond...

Home parties are a way to 'expand' your knowledge of something, shop within the comfort of your own home, or for those that like to take their time making decisions... simply the opportunity to browse! Because SU! is a hobby, with the potential to buy products that will enhance your creative projects I ALWAYS start off my demonstrations with something like the following:

"Stamping is a hobby...for some it replaces watching TV. For others, it is a stress-releaser or reducer and for still others, it is simply a way to express a different side of themselves! But, like any hobby, stamping may not be for everyone OR you may enjoy it tonight but know that this isn't the right time in your life to pick up a new hobby... This is OK!"

The important message I try to instill in my Hostesses (and their guests) is to give home parties a try! Have FUN with them and assure your guests that they are under NO obligation to buy if stamping isn't something they want to do after the workshop or if the timing isn't right! I also address the 'What if no one comes' comment with reassuring Hostesses that you don't need (and often don't want) a HUGE group of ladies at each workshop. Often times, smaller groups allow more 1 on 1 attention and more time to answer guest questions etc.

I bet you will find that most home businesses have evolved so much that it would shock you! Many women are busier today than ever before so home parties are a viable & time efficient way to learn about & purchase things without having to step foot in a mall!

Personally, I LOVE the home party scene - heck, I buy my candles, bake/cookware, jewelry, cleaning supplies, make up, storage systems and home decor ALL FROM THE COMFORT OF MY OWN HOME!

Below you'll find an example of how I prepare for a home party and what you could expect from the projects at your party. 1) EVERYTHING is pre-cut for you and your guests. It isn't much fun watching someone measure & cut so I do all of that in advance so that you can learn the really good stuff! I'm always prepared to explain how I did measure or cut something in case someone wants to know :o) 2) I try to bring full pkgs of what I'm demo'ing so that guests can see (for example) all of the sheets you get in the Designer Paper pkg if that's what we are using!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Hi Lisa;

I'm trying to e-mail you but I can't get the link to work. I would like some information about the In Color ribbon share.

Lisa Burns said...

Hi There!
I'll take a look at the email link but in the meantime if you wanted to send me your name & your email address I can answer any questions you have directly. Send this info to lisaburns@rogers.com please :O)
Lb