Monday, August 6, 2007

Versatile 12x12 Scrapbooking Layouts - Tutorial

Happy Holiday Monday Everyone!

Thought I would focus my first tutorial on scrapbooking layouts as it seems to be one of the more challenging aspects of scrapbooking. So many of my customers tell me that they struggle with layouts - particularly with 12x12 albums because there is so much space to fill. These 2 examples provide a simple example of similar layouts but with an entirely different feel to each.

Let's start with the Baroque page - one of the fastest layouts I personally have ever come up with. Truthfully, I used part of the designer paper (Brocade Background) page for my Sympathy cards so I was just looking to use up the other 1/2 of the paper and it was 12 inches length-wise so I popped it on some 12x12 Always Artichoke cardstock (desiger paper on the left of the page). Just before doing that, I wanted to try out my new Jumbo Eyelets so I used the end of one of the papers natural swirls to do that! Added some ribbon (beige & brown), and 3 sections for photos on the right. That's it!



The second layout follows the exact same pattern but change up the colours and add some extra embellishments and viola - another page completed! I wanted to create a more dramatic title on this page so I used Stampin' Dimensions to pop out 2 of the letters (the M & the R). I left a bit of space on the Very Vanilla for either journalling or a photo, followed by a bit of a 'summery' theme & saying at the bottom. Added the ribbon (beige & blue) and again 3 sections for photos to the right. I spend some extra time cutting out some butterflies and popping them out on the page for more dimension.


Scrapbooking is all about what works for you - like the first page illustrates you can go simple and still achieve the look you are going for. Or, like the second page illustrates, you add more detail to enhance any page!

Hope you like it - let me know what questions you have - or what you think!

3 comments:

Cheryl KVD said...

I love this tutorial!! I am an avid scrapbooker and I'm always looking for ways to get inspiration and ideas, so thank you!!
Cheryl KVD

jodene said...

These are very cute. Great idea. Thanks for sharing!!

Kathy W said...

These are very helpful. As I try to attempt to get back to scrapbooking, I am overwhelmed with all the choices of layouts available now. The two layouts you have are very cute and easy. I now have an idea of how to get started. Thanks!