Sunday, January 13, 2008

Crayon Resist Tutorial Sample


My brother-in-law has a birthday in January so I made his card this weekend but I'm hoping it is masculine enough? Carolyn - his lovely sister - might very well be out there looking in on my blog...what do you think Carolyn?

I taught this technique at my class last Monday night - Crayon Resist! Here are the steps to creating this look:
  • Start by using Glossy White cardstock
  • Then stamp an image using a dark ink - I used Black Staz On so that I wouldn't worry about it smearing or blending. Good idea to let it dry for a few minutes though

  • Next, take a white crayon and color in any areas that you'd like to see highlighted or in this case, to appear like snow

  • Use your Brayer to roll a lighter color over your stamped & crayon'd image - I used Bashful Blue to keep the winter theme alive. If you don't have a brayer, you can try using your sponges to apply the colour

  • The final step requires you to take a paper towel or tissue paper and wipe over the stamped & crayon'd area to expose the white crayon

Because crayon is wax, the ink won't stick to it so it comes right off on your paper towel to leave the white highlight! You can experiment with all sorts of color combinations etc.

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial - have fun trying it out!

No comments: